20 December 2008

By Jove!

By Jove!

I'm sure you've read this expression in such books as The Chronicles of Narnia- and others of their kind (is it even possible to compare any other books with C. S. Lewis's masterpieces?)This expression (as I'm sure many of us know) is akin to exclaiming- "Oh my goodness" or "No Way". I was surprised to find out where this expression came from. It was really just putting two and two together, but it made me very happy...as if I'd solved a problem. I am sure that many people know what I am about to share with you, but it is special and amazing to me!

"Jove, or Jupiter, was the king of the gods, and the god of sky and thunder. He is the equivalent of Zeus in the Greek pantheon."

Of course, as you know by my profile am very, very interested in Greek/Roman mythology. So I know that Zeus a.k.a. "Jove" is the king of the gods, an unfaithful (to the extreme) husband, and the father of many/most of the twelve Great Olympians. So when I finally figured out the derivation of the phrase I was very disappointed wit myself! How could I not have discovered this before?

By- we all know what that means! So let's put this phrase back together shall we?

By Jove, or By Zeus, is sort of like saying- "By the gods" or "By Everything.

And that is the beautiful discovery I made!

2 comments:

The Militant Pacifist said...

By jove...this is very interesting! Grace to you!!!

Hal Brunson said...

EE, I agree with MP, and I also think it's time for you to do a new post. You have important things to say, important enough to be read by others. I'll look forward to reading it.